Monday, June 09, 2008

Hello iPhone

The Steve Jobs keynote address is going on right now, and I'm following it via Tuaw.com, but big news just hit.

The new version 2 iPhone with 3G will hit July 11th.  But here's the best part:

11:45. Rolling it out, same price all over the world. July 11th!

11:45. Price: Was $599. Now $399. Will sell for ... The Crowd Explodes $199 for 8GB. 16 GB $299.



Look at that - a new iPhone for $199, and supposedly same price 'round the world. That would mean none of this "more expensive in Canada" BS. It also means its the first affordable Apple product (haha), in line with other smart phones. It's also going to have GPS, PUSH email (via the dotMac replacement, called MobileMe), and 3rd party software available as well.

As far as I can see, this is the all in one device I have been waiting for. Now I just have to wait for Rogers to get their butts in gear and bring it to Canada. And then see how bad they rip off their customers on a monthly basis to enjoy all this sweet tech...

Come on July!

Comments on "Hello iPhone"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (June 09, 2008 6:17 PM) : 

Affordable indeed! I've been keeping an eye on the developments as well and one of the local tech dudes seems to have done a little more leg work:

http://johnbiehler.com/2008/06/09/july-11th-is-the-new-canada-day/

I've been looking to upgrade and am excited to check out how well this baby handles for txt msg., my new addiction. Exciting indeed! :)

 

Blogger Pappy said ... (June 09, 2008 9:19 PM) : 

Keep us posted. My daughter says mine is outdated and hard to operate. I only use the "hello" and "goodbye" function, so I wouldn't know.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (June 10, 2008 12:44 AM) : 

Isn't that just about the way it goes....they'll probably add at least a 15% surcharge for shipping.
The Bach

 

Blogger Lavinia said ... (June 10, 2008 5:19 PM) : 

Take my advice...scrutinize your monthly rogers bill with a fine tooth comb....this company is notorious for the 'errors' on their bills.....you will be shocked by the shenanigans going on.....but call them up when you spot the mistakes adn they will reverse, once you point them out.

 

Blogger Keanan Brand said ... (June 10, 2008 11:32 PM) : 

I still don't have a cell phone, but I've been keeping an eye on the iPhone. (No pun intended. Seriously.)

Maybe, by the time I can afford the darn thing, the prices will be even lower.

 

Blogger Tess Kincaid said ... (June 11, 2008 2:24 PM) : 

iPhone is a tad too high tech for me. My simple little cell phone is just about all I can handle. My kids are all going to want one...

 

post a comment