Tuesday, May 27, 2008

To London And Back...

Well, I'm back from the London trip to do the quarterly kidney checkup. As Lavinia asked in a previous comment, what is a kidney checkup? Well, sometimes I forget not everyone has read every post I've made in the last 3 years (haha). As it so happens, almost 5 years ago now I had a kidney transplant, after a bit of time on dialysis. It was a success, and been working good so far. About every 3-4 months though, I go back to where I had the transplant done at London University Hospital in Ontario (great staff there, and good people) and the Doctors check me out and make sure everything is doing what it's supposed to do - the kidney, the diet, the meds, etc. Once again, I got a clean bill of health. The blood pressure is always an issue because of the meds, but we've made a slight adjustment and it should be clear sailing.

The day is always a long one, leaving early in the morning to make the early morning appointment. However, a trip out of my usual routine gives me a chance to work my (relatively still new) camera. Was never one to be much of a shutterbug, but since I got my digital camera, I enjoy it quite a bit more. The only way I'd carry a camera around was if it was slim, small, and lightweight and still take good shots. I think I've found that with my Casio Exilim. Takes good shots and records video in MP4. It's not professional grade, but it works for me. Combined with iPhoto / Pixelmator on my Mac, it's a lot of fun.

Anyway, you can go here to check all the shots I put up at Flickr, but here's some select shots of the day for the blog...

We came across a rollerblader in the bicycle lane. Does that qualify? Traffic wasn't too happy passing him on the bridge...



Pulling up to the Hospital. It's a pretty big building, and they always seem to be adding / changing with construction too. They do a lot of work here.



This was weird. The hall to the nephrology clinic was covered with sheeting on the wall for the construction and other safety lamps for lighting. Gave it an Indiana Jones treasure hunting feel to it or something...



Looking down on the helicopter pad from the parking garage. We saw one come in and land once, and there is not a lot of room to do it. Coming down between the hospital and two parking garages would take some skill.



London has some rather old buses in their fleet. The orange stands out though.



After the Bachelor's post on old Barns, I had to snap this shot as we drove...



I really liked this shot with the mirror. I'm still half hidden in shadow and shades, so I'm putting it out there. Still on the fence whether to post myself online, but I'm think I'm starting to lean over...



And finally, a really nice shot of the beautiful clouds and sky. Makes a nice wallpaper too.



All in all, a good day, a good report from the docs, and a day to count one's blessing...
Blogged with the Flock Browser

Comments on "To London And Back..."

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (May 27, 2008 5:15 PM) : 

Good to hear all is well!

I love those photos, particularly the third one of the hallway. Looks like something out of a sci-fi movie!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (May 27, 2008 5:18 PM) : 

I really like the mirror shot. To capture everything in the frame like that, from inside with the window up, all framed in the mirror too, seems like a stroke of luck. Maybe I'm attempting it on mirrors that are too small. :-)

originallru

 

Blogger Tess Kincaid said ... (May 27, 2008 5:35 PM) : 

Glad to hear you got a clean ticket! And I enjoyed your pix.

I've seen you over at Bachelor's and Lavinia's, so I thought I'd pop over. Nice blog...I'll be back!

 

Blogger Eaglewing said ... (May 28, 2008 3:46 PM) : 

Marina: Thanks. You're right, that does look like a sci-fi movie. Like a set for a Roswell scene or something.

 

Blogger Eaglewing said ... (May 28, 2008 3:47 PM) : 

originallru: I think it was a lucky shot, but try some on bigger mirrors too :)

 

Blogger Eaglewing said ... (May 28, 2008 3:49 PM) : 

Willow: hi, thanks for dropping by! Come back anytime!

 

Blogger Pappy said ... (May 28, 2008 6:25 PM) : 

Well Eagle Wing, good to be back. Glad your medical reports were all to the favorable side. Finally a mirrored glimpse of the mysterious Canadian. I suppose going to London did not require a trip across the Atlantic Ocean. Kind of like me going to Paris, TX. Good to be back in the mix. Thanks for coming by and commenting.

 

Blogger Pappy said ... (May 29, 2008 10:36 AM) : 

Eaglewing, I have nominated you for an award for one of the five blogs that make my day. Go to my site for further information. Congratulations, keep up the great work.

 

Blogger Eaglewing said ... (May 29, 2008 4:00 PM) : 

Texican: Yeah, I could drive to London Ontario - didn't have to hop the pond. Is there an Eiffel Tower in Paris Texas? just kidding.

Thanks for the nomination! I'll be by to check it out.

 

Blogger Lavinia said ... (May 31, 2008 6:02 AM) : 

Kidney transplant, my goodness. I had no idea. My best wishes to you for continued good health and management of that. I didn't realize that follow ups were necessary years later.

I am impressed with London hospital, and you are right, that hallway does have an Indiana Jones feel to it. Perhaps there was a crystal skull or two lurking in the corners (tee hee).

Interesting comment about the sky making a good wallpaper. I change my desktop wallpaper often, and usually it is a photograph from a blog I visit!

I think I am going to give your sky a try now...

 

Blogger Keanan Brand said ... (May 31, 2008 2:11 PM) : 

Adding my "good to know all's well" wishes to the stack.

Cool pics! I especially like the last one of the sky. Reminds me of "Tender Mercies" or "Sweet Land" or "Open Range" and a few other films I could rattle off.

And the mirror picture - tried that one myself back in November when I went to Kansas. Not so successful as yours.

 

Blogger Eaglewing said ... (June 01, 2008 3:44 AM) : 

Lavinia: Thanks for the good wishes. Yes, checkups will be always be constant, but at least I've got a good team looking at it all. London Hospital is impressive, but that really was a weird looking hall. Hope there were no crystal skulls lurking :)

 

Blogger Eaglewing said ... (June 01, 2008 3:45 AM) : 

Keanan: Thanks as well. I always liked them movie Open Range - nice looking views in that one.

The mirror shot was a stroke of luck. Good thing I wasn't driving.

 

post a comment