Sunday, April 09, 2006

Me-Mini Movie Reviews: L.A. Confidential

Caught the stellar flick L.A. Confidential again the other night. This was a big movie in 1997, and I had seen it before on video, probably back in ’98 or so. I’d forgotten just how good this movie was. Back then I didn’t really appreciate what noir films were all about, but I’m getting older now :)

It’s a modern film noir set in the ‘50s (great looking cars :) with a heckuva cast – Russell Crowe, Kevin Spacey, Guy Pierce, Kim Bassinger, James Cromwell, Danny Devito, and more. There’s corruption, twists, turns, and a few cops eventually trying to do the right thing as they just can’t let the Night Owl murder case go. My favorite character is Bud White, played by Russell Crowe. He’s an old school, tough cop, who knows his limitations. He doesn’t think he’s smart, but he is and figures it out and makes his stand.

As a side note, watching Crowe play this part, I can easily see why comic fans at the time of the casting of the first X-Men movie were nominating him to be the one to play the part of Wolverine. Of course, Hugh Jackman got the role, and I can’t really see anyone else doing it but him. However, I think Crowe would have done an excellent job, but I don’t think he would have ever taken the part at the time. Comic book movies had yet to reach the blockbuster status they enjoy now, which ironically, the first Blade and X-Men movies opened the door for.

Back to L.A. Confidential, Kim Bassinger is fantastic as well, playing the part of a Veronica Lake look alike while This Gun For Hire plays on a TV behind her. Kevin Spacey’s role is intriguing too, and one of the best scenes is when he whispers the name “Rollo Tommasi” and smiles, and you just know he got his validation and had the satisfaction of knowing he had set the wheels of justice in motion. (Also a side note - Spacey's a great actor and I can't wait to see what he'll do with the Lex Luthor role in this summer's Superman Returns. He'll probably be more interesting to watch than Supes.)

A great film noir, and just great film-making period. Great plot, twists and turns, character development, morally ambiguous character decisions, and of course, those great looking cars (and dames :) of the ‘50s. Oh, and I'd take that trip to Arizona too...

Verdict: Recommended
MPAA Rating: R

Comments on "Me-Mini Movie Reviews: L.A. Confidential"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (April 13, 2006 4:45 PM) : 

Enjoyed your take on L.A. Confidential and thanks for your comments on my web page.

All the best (and I've got you bookmarked),

Jeffrey

 

Blogger Eaglewing said ... (April 14, 2006 2:32 AM) : 

Thanks Jeffrey for dropping by. Now that my computer is back up, I'm sure I'll be back over to your siteThe DVD Marquee for more movie notes...

 

post a comment