Thursday, January 17, 2008

Me Mini Movie Reviews: Too Late For Tears

"Don't ever change, Tiger. I don't think I'd like you with a heart."

The 1949 B&W film Too Late For Tears is a solid noir that looks at the lenghts greed and obsession will go. Lizabeth Scott plays Jane Palmer, a married woman who along with her husband comes into a duffle bag of cash through a sheer fluke one night. They aren't on the same side as to what to do with it, and that one chance happening has quite an effect on more than them.

Lizabeth Scott gives a chilling performance as someone who becomes obsessed with wanting more. Noir regular Dan Duryea shows up as someone looking for that bag of cash and gives an excellent performance as someone who thinks he's tough but hasn't seen anything yet. Then Don Defore shows up as someone who's on another quest, for something else entirely.

Everyone gives a quality performance, but Lizabeth Scott and Dan Duryea really know what they're doing with their roles. From the first few minutes, you can see where it's going in Scott's eyes. Don Defore gets some great lines too as the pulpy noir dialogue flys along quick and shows once again why I really like the old movies. There's no CGI or big set pieces to distract the viewer - they have to actually act and have solid dialogue, and they certainly do here.

I may be wrong, but I think Too Late For Tears may be one of those public domain films out there. What I watched certainly wasn't the best video quality as many of the older ones aren't, but it was more than worth it. In fact, the screen fades and scratches kind of lent a hand to the noir appeal. Certainly worth your time if you happen to find it or see it playing on TV.

Verdict: Recommended

Comments on "Me Mini Movie Reviews: Too Late For Tears"

 

Blogger Keanan Brand said ... (January 23, 2008 12:59 AM) : 

I enjoy noir, but only own a couple of the old films. I don't know if I've seen this one, but it's possible that it's just lost somewhere in the vast vault of memory. Thanks to your review, I've added "Tears" to my Amazon list.

 

Blogger Eaglewing said ... (January 23, 2008 9:47 AM) : 

Thanks, glad you enjoyed the review. I believe the public domain copy is what's available out on the net if you're looking to see it and save some coin.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (January 28, 2008 2:20 AM) : 

"You can't see it, Mrs. Palmer, but I'm riding a big white horse!"

Good movie! Thanks for the recommendation. It does appear to be a public domain movie, and the site I found it on seems to have a whole bunch more: publicdomaintorrents.com.

"You know, Tiger? I didn't know they made 'em as beautiful as you are, and as smart... or as hard."

 

Blogger Eaglewing said ... (January 28, 2008 7:34 AM) : 

Glad you liked it. and yeah, there were some great lines of dialogue in that movie.

 

post a comment