Thursday, March 23, 2006

Me Mini Movie Reviews...

Finally got to watch the movie Ong-Bak, and the one word review would be: Unbelievable! Sure, the flick has a paper thin plot, and you’ve got to question what they’re fighting and dying for, but the martial arts show put on by Tony Jaa is fantastic. Some brutal shots, and more than a few “Whoa!” moments. The jump through the roll of barb wire, the flying knee hit to the motorcycle rider that breaks the helmet, and the impressive double knee drop near the end are all unreal. And to think there was no wire work or CGI involved. It was a cool action packed movie, but one of my favorite moments has to be the first fight. You think they’re leading up to a big fight scene, and then Jaa drops the guy with one kick. Classic.

I also got around to watching the movie Layer Cake the other night. I might need a second viewing of it as I wasn’t paying close enough attention at the beginning, and I missed some of the dialogue thanks to the accents, but it turned into a pretty cool, noir-ish, crime caper flick. What surprised me though, was the good job done by Daniel Craig. When I heard they cast him as the next Bond, I was thinking “who?”. Now I see why. Anybody who doubts Craig as Bond, watch Layer Cake. This guy will do just fine. I still liked Brosnan as Bond, but if we have to see a new guy in the role, I think they made a decent pick.

Comments on "Me Mini Movie Reviews..."

 

Blogger Eaglewing said ... (March 24, 2006 3:23 AM) : 

Yep, definately recommend Ong-Bak if you're a martial arts fan. Some of the moves are just stupendous...

That's the new Bond alright. They're going for a younger Bond and a "from the beginning" plot... ie, how he becomes the Bond we know. It's supposed to be grittier and less "gadgety" than what we're used to. Have to wait till the end of the year to see how it turns out...

 

post a comment