Thursday, July 21, 2005

"I am but mad north-northwest; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw"

Well, finally got around to watching the classic movie North by Northwest last night. Excellent flick. Had action, drama, romance, and humor. Some of his one liners were pretty funny. The cool thing is that I got into the story to the extent I was going along on the ride with Thornhill (Cary Grant), and didn't even try to guess who the undercover agent was until it dawned on me minutes before they actually revealed it in the movie. That's unusual for me, as I am usually trying to figure things out ahead of time. All the way through, I never really knew what was going to happen next, nor did I care as I was happy just to go along for the ride. Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint were excellent in their roles, bringing the viewer along for the ride. Plus, the '50's cars were great to look at too.

No small wonder this is considered a classic, and maybe even one of the best films of all time. Its a great story too. Simplistic in setup and payoff, with a great Hitchcockian McGuffin thrown in with the microfilm that is never revealed for whats on it, and just a great, realistic ride from start to finish. If you haven't seen it yet, definately go out of your way to make sure you do.

Comments on ""I am but mad north-northwest; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw""

 

Blogger Lavinia said ... (May 13, 2008 10:00 AM) : 

One of my favourite movies. First saw it on a rainy Sunday afternoon, and still think that is the perfect time to watch. Cary Grant had perfect comic timing and James is great as the villain. Hard to pick a favourite scene....toward the end, in that great modernist house....the views from above of Mason and his sidekick circling each other, trying to come up with a 'solution' for the tratoirious Eve Kendall...wonderful suspense.

 

post a comment