Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Me Mini Movie Reviews: Rumor Has It

I watched Rumor Has It. It wasn't intentional. I was watching The Transporter 2 on the Movie Network and working on my computer. I was in the middle of something on the computer when the movie ended so I didn't bother changing the channel. It ran into Rumor Has It and I followed the storyline in the background while I worked. Then eventually I tuned in some more, and had to see it through. And that's two hours of my life I'll never get back.

What a pitiful movie. I guess it's supposed to be a chick flick, but is this really what chicks like to watch? I won't bother going into a synopsis or review or anything. You can look it up on IMDB or Amazon. But suffice it to say, there wasn't anybody to root for in the movie. Actually, there was - the Mark Ruffalo character, the Jennifer Aniston's character's fiancee. But then they went and screwed that up too. The only sane characters in the entire movie were Kevin Costner and Mark Ruffalo's characters. All the women in the flick weren't even likeable, let alone marry-able, like the writers would have you believe. The word psycho comes to mind. But the worst part was that they went and completely sold out the ending. [Possible Spoilers Ahead] When Jennifer Anniston's character has an epiphany and goes back to talk to her fiance, I thought they had the framework to really have a good thought provoking moment come out of this tripe at the end. It could have made the whole movie worth it, by showing that actions have consequences and making your lead character learn something valuable. But obviously the film makers didn't have the guts. Sure, they tried to fake you with it, but I was waiting for the sellout and sure enough, there it was at the last second for a happy ending. Bugger!

The only redeeming quality to the movie, and what got me to pay attention while I was working on the computer, was that they used one of my favorite Randy Travis songs in the movie. Kevin Costner starts up the jukebox at one point, and there you hear Randy Travis singing Are We In Trouble Now. It actually perfectly fits the moment, and it's a great song.

Other than that, it was utter dreck. Save your time, and skip this one.

Verdict: Avoid.

Comments on "Me Mini Movie Reviews: Rumor Has It"

 

Blogger Blythe Lane said ... (January 03, 2007 10:12 AM) : 

My thoughts exactly. I went and saw it when it came out despite my strong aversion to anything Kevin Costner. Complete and utter drivel. These are the kind of movies that give "chick flicks" a bad name. :-)

 

Blogger Eaglewing said ... (January 03, 2007 5:13 PM) : 

Wow. You paid theatre money for that? I feel your pain :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (January 06, 2007 5:39 AM) : 

Oh. She's not the only one...so did I!

 

Blogger Eaglewing said ... (January 07, 2007 4:15 AM) : 

Ouch :-) It was a pretty bad flick...

 

Blogger Manish "Diogenes" Golder said ... (May 02, 2008 9:08 AM) : 

thanks a bunch - yep - it was worth just that randy travis song
that's how i landed up on this page
silly movie
beautiful beautiful song

 

Blogger Ruth said ... (August 19, 2009 10:38 PM) : 

thank you! just wanted to know what Randy Travis song it was!

 

post a comment