Sunday, June 15, 2008

Movie Night

Well, that was what I needed. Had a nothing day Saturday and had myself an unplanned movie marathon. There were some good movies on the cable channels and I wound up watching a run of:

The Fifth Element
XXX (the good Vin Diesel one, not the horrid sequel that I pretend doesn't exist)
Tomb Raider 2: Cradle of Life (good action movie until the poor ending. They should have used the alternate one that's on the DVD)
Die Hard 4

I hadn't seen Die Hard 4 yet, so after those other movies I was in a movie mood and threw that one on. It was actually pretty good. Not as good as the first 2 of course, but holds it own. Kind of a week villian, but Bruce Willis is in the groove as John McClane. Justin Long did better than I expected and I quite enjoyed the Kevin Smith cameo. The action and stunts were well done and no shaky cam either. A little over the top, but enjoyable. I didn't like the way they neutered the famous catchphrase to get into PG-13 territory, but it's better on the Unrated DVD. Funny thing though - I had the unrated DVD so I assumed I would get the unrated version when I hit play. Turns out I watched the PG-13 version. You actually have to go into the special features and select the unrated version. why they would do that when there's two different DVD versions out is beyond me. Oh well, it was fun to watch anyway, although I'm going to have to watch it again sometime in the unrated version to see what's different.

Yep, sometimes you just need to put your brain in park and watch some "blow stuff up" movies with a big bowl of popcorn.

Comments on "Movie Night"

 

Blogger Pappy said ... (June 15, 2008 7:33 AM) : 

Yeah, my girls can't understand that. They tolerate my choices on occasion.:)

 

Blogger Keanan Brand said ... (June 15, 2008 2:04 PM) : 

"Put your brain in park"--great expression. And I know exactly what you mean.

I've only seen two of the movies on your list; you're right about Cradle of Life and the ending. (I much prefer the first movie.)

 

Blogger Pappy said ... (June 16, 2008 7:45 AM) : 

You might like "The Cleaner", a fairly new mystery thriller with Samuel Jackson and Ed Harris. A little artsy in the cinematograpy category, but I thought it was entertaining. Available in rental stores.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (June 16, 2008 6:37 PM) : 

hehehe

We had the same thought! I clicked around through Tomb Raider because I wasn't completely enthralled and I have The Fifth Element on the shelf though I did sit through the commercials to catch the fabulous ballroom shootout scene.

But XXX, I watched from beginning to end. *sigh* a nice reminder of WHY I love Diesel so much. Can't wait for Babylon A.D.!

 

Blogger Lavinia said ... (June 17, 2008 2:39 PM) : 

Oh you are so relentlessly and perfectly a 'guy'. I love this:

"Yep, sometimes you just need to put your brain in park and watch some "blow stuff up" movies with a big bowl of popcorn."

 

Blogger Eaglewing said ... (June 19, 2008 5:53 AM) : 

Texican: Yep, sometimes need to have a big blast of a movie. Some don't get it :)

Thanks for the suggestion of The Cleaner. I'll check that out. I saw a trailer for it a while back and it looked intriguing.

 

Blogger Eaglewing said ... (June 19, 2008 5:54 AM) : 

Keanan: I agree. The first Tomb Raider was better. So it goes with sequels, I suppose.

 

Blogger Eaglewing said ... (June 19, 2008 5:54 AM) : 

Marina: I'm with you on Babylon AD. That new trailer for it is sweet!

 

Blogger Eaglewing said ... (June 19, 2008 5:55 AM) : 

Lavinia: Yes, I am a guy, and I shall stay relentless at it :) Thanks.

 

post a comment