Saturday, September 09, 2006

Box Office Mayhem...

CinemaBlend: Summer Box Office

Interesting article here from CinemaBlend. They look at the summer's blockbusters and do a rundown on the box office winners and losers. Some interesting figures in there too, like:

* Pirates 2 crossed a billion dollars intake worldwide. I still haven't seen the movie yet, but that is just insane. It can't be that good, and from the reviews I've read, it isn't. I still want to see it, but come on people - a billion $$$ ???

* Click, the Adam Sandler comedy, made $135 mil., and before that, the Longest Yard made $158 mil., and before that 50 First Dates made $120 mil. What?!? Adam Sandler, box office gold - who knew?

* I'm a big Kevin Smith fan, but I missed Clerks 2 as it whipped through theatres around here. Can't wait to see it on DVD. Gotta love it when he makes a movie for a budget of $5 million and makes $10 million on opening weekend and $23 mil so far domestic. Nice fiscal responsibility there - cough, cough, Superman Returns, cough, cough...

* Superman Returns, which I also missed, cost around $270 million to make. It's crossed $300 million worldwide intake, but it's not the profit maker the studio thought it would be.

* Miami Vice, cost $135 million, made $96 million worldwide. Ouch. I really wanted to see this based on the first teaser trailer, but when I read reviews of how they all mumbled their lines in the movie, I decided not to waste 10 bucks on dialogue I couldn't hear. I'll wait for DVD and subtitles...


Looking at the list of summer movies, I realize how many I wanted to see and missed (MI:III, Supes, POTC2, Miami Vice, Clerks 2, etc) . I do love me some DVD, so I'll have to wait for November when they start coming out. As much as I love movies, the costly and awful theatre experience is apparently keeping me away. I suspect I'm not the only one...

Comments on "Box Office Mayhem..."

 

post a comment