Saturday, October 15, 2005

Tough All Over

Picked up Gary Allan’s new CD “Tough All Over” the day it came out. Had to go to two stores to find it, as Future Shop didn’t have it in stock. They had about 30 copies of Shania Twain’s latest album though, if that counts for anything...

Gary Allan is one of my favorite singers, and this new album is up there close to his best “Smoke Rings in the Dark.” It’s a dark album, which is no surprise considering what he’s gone through in the last year with his wife committing suicide. From what little I’ve read on it, she had some health issues among other things that led to it. Gary has been pretty private about it until now, expressing it through his music. As I read him saying in one interview, the album was “very expensive therapy.” The album’s tunes however stand on their own as a straight up, gritty country, musical punch to the heart.

Take a listen through my favorite track on the album, “I Just Got Back From Hell”. Knowing the back story, it's obvious what it was written about, but there's a lot in there that can apply to a lot of people. If that song doesn’t make you pause then you must be one of the truly blessed that hasn’t had to face some brutal times.

It’s a highly recommended album for those who are looking for something real outside of the watered down pop on the radio.

I just got back from Hell
And I’m standing here alive
I know it’s really hard to tell
Don’t know how I survived
But I can’t say that I’m doin’ great
But I think I’m doin’ well
That Devil’s gonna have to wait
‘Cause I just got back from Hell

Well, I just got back from Hell
And I guess to tell the truth
Well, I’ve been mad at everyone, including God and you
When you can’t find no one to blame you just blame yourself
And I know I’ll never be the same
I just got back from Hell

Forgive me if I had any part
If I ever broke your heart in two
Forgive me for what I didn’t know
For what I didn’t say or do
And, God, forgive me as well
‘Cause I just got back from Hell

Well, I just got back from Hell
And I need to make some plans
It’s the last thing that I wanna do
But I’ll do the best I can
I’m gonna learn to live again
But I think I’ll sit a spell
Tell the world that I’m alive
And I just got back from Hell

I can’t say that I’m doin’ great
But I think I'm getting’ well
Gonna let the world know I’m alive
And I just got back from Hell…
(I Just Got Back From Hell, by Gary Allan
CD: Tough All Over
Written by: Gary Allan and Harley Allen)

Comments on "Tough All Over"

 

post a comment