Sunday, September 18, 2005

Another Top 5 List...

I was watching movies and started thinking about some of the more memorable monologues or speeches and thought I'd list a few of my favorites:

Marv (Mickey Rourke) in Sin City –
Marv telling Lucille what’s going down and why. When I read the graphic novel, I loved that part. When I heard they were making a movie, I wondered if they could get someone to pull off the tough coolness Marv had and the intensity of that speech, among others. Leave it to Mickey Rourke to absolutely nail it.
Lucille: “Settle down, Marv, take another pill.”
Marv: “Hey! There ain’t no settlin’ down! This is blood for blood and by the gallons. This is the old days, man, the bad days, the all or nothin’ days, there back! There’s no choices left, and I’m ready for war.”
Lucille: “Prison was hell for you, Marv, it’ll be life this time.”
Marv: “Huh…Hell’s waking up every #$%-damn day and not even knowing why you’re here. But I’m out now. It took somebody who was kind to me getting killed to do it, but I’m out. I know exactly what I gotta do.”


Fraser (Paul Gross) – Due South, Episode “You Must Remember This”
Facing out the window, speaking to Ray who had fallen asleep, but Fraser didn’t know it. Details what is the first mention of his and Victoria’s past. Let’s you know how deep his feelings for her run, and yet you know there is conflict there too. Perfect delivery from the actor and it set up the run of stories at the end of the season.
“You know there was a woman once, Ray. We were…I don’t know what we were. In the end I tracked her above the 62nd parallel into a place called Fortitude pass. A storm had been blowing for days, the whole world was white. By the time I found her I’d lost everything – my packs, my supplies. Everything. And she was huddled in the leeside of a mountain crag, she was almost frozen, very near death. So I staked a lean-to and draped my coat across it and drew her inside and I covered her body with mine and I just held her while the storm closed around us like a blanket. Until all I could hear was the sound of her heartbeat, weakening. I forced her to speak to me, just talk to me. Say anything to keep the cold from taking her. And it snowed for a day. And a night. And a day. I was delirious, I almost gave up. The only thing I had to hold on to was the sound of her voice, which never wavered. She recited a poem. You know, the funny thing, I must have heard that poem a thousand times that night, but I never heard the words. It ended…badly. She had a…she had a darkness inside her, and the most beautiful voice. The most beautiful voice you ever heard.”

Marlboro Man (Don Johnson) – Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man.
Marlboro saying goodbye to Virginia. He didn’t want to, but he had to. Great line – “I…I…I don’t know what I want. But I know what I don’t want. I don’t want whatever there was between us…to end…without telling you…you’ve been the better part of my life…the best part of my life” Long pause. “Goodbye, Virginia.” Then he walks away. Again, perfect delivery.


Kit Latura (Sylvester Stallone) – Daylight.
Kit is talking to Madelyne (Amy Brenneman) getting her to help him rig an explosive. On the way to the spot, Madelyne gets scared and starts to turn back. Kit needs her help, and needs her to focus on something other than the fear. So he comes out of left field with this hilarious topic:
Small explosion
Kit: “It’s ok, it’s ok…”
Madelyne: “Woah….I can’t, I can’t, I can’t…”
Kit: “Alright. You have a choice. It’s like the first person who ever ate a raw oyster. You know that?”
Madelyne: “What are you talking about?”
Kit: “Well, think about it. A person would have to be starving to death to ever get involved with a raw oyster. Right? He probably had to eat it or die. Stay with me Madelyne. It’s slimy, it smelled, it looked like something out of a bad chest cold, so there had to be that moment of truth before he sucked that little slider down. Staying with me? Think of that moment of truth – do I really need this, do I want this in my life? But he had to eat, so he dug down and found the guts, just like you did.”
Madelyne: “Is that a compliment?”
Kit: “Yes, come on…”


Rob Gordon (John Cusack) – High Fidelity
Couldn’t go without mentioning this one. What’s a top five list without it? (if you’ve seen the movie, you know what that means). Of course, the whole movie is pretty much a monologue straight through the fourth wall, but it makes for a great movie and some great lines. Some highlights:
--Opening – Rob talking:
“What came first? The music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, or some sort of culture of violence will take them over, but nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs, about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery, and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable, or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?”
--A trip down memory lane of his top 5 breakups leads to an imaginary conversation with Bruce Springsteen:
Rob: “I want more. I wanna see the others on the big top 5. I wanna see Penny and Charlie and Sarah, all of them, you know. Just see them and talk to them – it’d be like a Bruce Springsteen song.”
Bruce Springsteen: “You call, and ask’em how they are and see if they’ve forgiven you.”
Rob: “Yeah…then I’d feel good…and they’d feel good.”
Bruce: “Well, they’d feel good maybe, but you’d feel better.”
Rob: “I’d feel clean. And calm.”
Bruce: “That’s what you’re looking for. You want to get ready to start again, it’d be good for you.”
Rob: “Great, even…”
Bruce: “Give that big final good luck and good bye to your all time top 5 and just move on down the road.”
Rob: “Good luck and Good bye…thanks Boss.”


Those are just some of my faves. Anybody else think of any good ones?

Comments on "Another Top 5 List..."

 

Blogger Eaglewing said ... (September 18, 2005 1:48 PM) : 

Oh yeah, that's romantic. Nothing says romance like revealing information you gained from peeping through her windows and watching her run on the treadmill ;-) Just kidding - the delivery of the line was done well. That's what can make or break a well written line, or even a corny one. It all depends on the delivery. For example, every X-fan knows about the blown line in X-men 1, when Halle Berry as Storm says:
"You know what happens to a Toad when it's hit by lightning?"
Bolt of lightning hits Toad
"The same thing that happens to everything else."
Reportedly, the line was written to be a throw-away line - an off the cuff quip. She delivered it as if it was the most important piece of dialogue in the movie and fans have derided it ever since. At least Mel Gibson turned what could have been a corny line into a meaningful part of the movie. It's all in how you say it...

And that is a pretty good movie, too. I always liked his self-destruct apartment, though forgetting the combination to your food containers could be problematic...

 

post a comment