Saturday, October 22, 2005

PluggedIn: DVD format war brews even as videos go off-disk - Yahoo! News

PluggedIn: DVD format war brews even as videos go off-disk - Yahoo! News

Great. As if the upcoming DVD format war wasn't stupid enough, now it may be the beginning of the end for DVD altogether. Some are speculating consumers would rather have video on demand and streaming downloads than DVD hardware and discs. Come on, people. It's way better to own the product yourself. I don't want to have to depend on the whims of somebody else's hard drive files when I want to watch something. The video on demand guys already change their libraries every month. If I want to sit down and watch an episode or two of The Rockford Files, I want to be able to that when I want and as many times as I want for one price, not on the off chance it's available in someone else's online library. Plus, either way, we're going to have to pay for it, so I'd rather own it outright with an actual media form of a shiny disc I can hold in my hands ;-)

Comments on "PluggedIn: DVD format war brews even as videos go off-disk - Yahoo! News"

 

Blogger The Original LRU said ... (October 22, 2005 4:11 PM) : 

I don't know what these people are smoking, but it must be good.

From the article, Bill Gates is quoted as saying:

"Understand that this is the last physical format there will ever be."

From 1981, he also said:

640K ought to be enough for anybody.

I'm not sure how you can predict media formats into the indefinite future like that. DVD has lasted, what, 10 years? Back then, it looked like an insane amount of data on a single disk. Who's to say that 2015 will be any less hungry for bits?

As for the "device you can't live without" being the PC for 12 to 21 year olds, I'm impressed. And I think that the major reason is the lack of quality on TV, combined with the rigid schedules imposed by that broadcast medium.

If they want to go video-on-demand, they should start with TV. Imagine being able to watch the latest episode of your favourite show, when you wanted. (And not paying an extra fee for it!) You can already do that yourself with projects like MythTV, but the average consumer isn't going to go to that trouble for TV.

Instead, they'll download it via bittorrent onto their 250 gig hard drives and watch the whole series... :-P

Ok, ok, the average consumer won't do that either, but I'm in pundit mode here, and pundits don't have to be accurate.

Finally, I'm a little worried that DVD could be on serious decline once the new format has taken root. That sounds exactly what power and money-hungry media companies would do, but VHS lasted a while, so I guess it is up to the consumers to send the message via the pocket book.

I'm generally on the end of the hardware curve, so I don't plan on buying a HD-DVD or Blueray player any time soon. I don't even have a DVD writer, and they're cheap! I imagine there are lots of people like me out there.

 

post a comment