Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Looks Aren't Everything...But It Helps

So, as I wait for the perfect timing (and cash) to go get my new MacBook, I loaded up my XP to make it look like a MAC. And with the dock added, it almost functions a little like one. Got a nice clean look going here, some handy Yahoo Widgets (giving me the weather for my own town), and even the Apple logo up in the corner in place of the ubiquitous Green Start button. And it was all done with free stuff on the net. Took a bit to figure it all out, but I like the look and learned some new stuff.

The dock is a cool program called RocketDock, the widgets are from Yahoo, iTunes and Quicktime is from Apple of course, there's a free OGG Quicktime plugin out there, the Tiger theme is from StudioTwentyEight, and the necessary UXTheme.dll Patcher was a download from somewhere so that I could run the 'msstyles' theme. There are even Mac Icons out there if you're up to it. Put it all together, and you get a pretty slick interface.

XP looking like a Mac

Comments on "Looks Aren't Everything...But It Helps"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (June 20, 2007 2:09 AM) : 

That is damned cool. Very impressive!

 

Blogger Eaglewing said ... (June 20, 2007 3:00 AM) : 

Thanks!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (June 20, 2007 1:19 PM) : 

That's pretty cool! I didn't realize you could change the shape of the windows like that, but I suppose there are some fairly fine-grained size settings in the desktop config dialog. Some are probably hidden in the registry.

Very nice! :-)

 

post a comment