Saturday, March 03, 2007

Moaning & Groaning

Well, isn’t that a kick to the head. I hadn’t much interest in the new movie Black Snake Moan, but then the other day I saw a music video for it featuring Samuel L. Jackson singing the blues. It was him from the movie as well as other clips to make the video. I liked the song, and so started to check out the movie a little more to see if there was more to it than the pulp posters would have you believe.

Apparently there is. Sounds like an interesting story actually. I also read a pretty good review of it in one of the papers at work. Then I even hit the official website and browsed around there, watching clips and reading about the story line. Sounds pretty good. They even have a soundtrack music player you can launch to listen to the entire soundtrack right there online. That’s pretty cool.

If you hadn't heard of it before, you can download the Black Snake Moan trailer here.
Oh, and here's an interesting review by Roger Ebert.

Now I rarely go to the theatre anymore (high prices and obnoxious people), but for some reason I thought I’d like to go see this. I hauled up my local theatre listings, and was shocked to find no mention of the film there at all. The other 2 releases are there – Wild Hogs and Zodiac, but I’m not going to those.

So what is this? This city isn’t exactly a backwater by any means, why don’t we get this released here? A bit more digging online, and I find we do get it – only on March 30 for two nights at the local small art-ish/indie theatre. I’m only guessing, but I assume that means the couple megaplexes around here won’t even be showing it if the indie theatre has it in the same month (like Brick last year). But that’s not the kick in the head. Here I was actually thinking of spending money in a theatre to go see this and I not only have to wait another month for it, it’s only showing on 2 nights – both of which I work.

That pretty much kills my interest in it. I’ll put it on the DVD list with the rest. And ya wonder why I don’t bother with going to the movies anymore. It’s pretty much to the point where I see a trailer, put it on a list, and check back for DVD release date later.

Anyway, so much for that. At least I save myself ten bucks. However, I will say the soundtrack kicks ass. If you like the blues, head over to the site and give it a listen.

Comments on "Moaning & Groaning"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (March 04, 2007 7:31 PM) : 

i went and saw Black Snake Moan today. this is one i had been looking forward to for awhile since the first time i saw the trailer. and oh yeah, that soundtrack is frickin' awesome, and there are a few scenes very visceral scenes created with the music and the visuals. as for the movie itself there are some good performances by jackson and ricci and timberlake is ok/acceptable. there are some great moments and the director brewer can definitely create a mood/atmosphere, but i thought the movie was good but not great.

 

Blogger Eaglewing said ... (March 04, 2007 11:29 PM) : 

Thanks for the review. I'll definitely be checking it out once I see it on DVD and picking up the soundtrack. It looks like something quite different, and was just disappointed it wasn't playing around here.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (March 05, 2007 1:40 PM) : 

That sucks. This is how I feel at times when I can't see what I want to see. And they talk piracy. Give us the bloody movie and some of us won't!

 

Blogger Eaglewing said ... (March 05, 2007 4:42 PM) : 

Marina: My thoughts exactly. I could see this happening with some small indie movie, but I thought this was a wide release. Oh well, saved me some money :)

 

post a comment