Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Mac Attack?

Ok, I want one of these.

Now, I’m no Mac user (yet), but you gotta admit that looks cool. A computer that small that actually has quite a bit in it. If you’re trying to save space, it’d be the way to go.

Actually, what brought me to trip over that product was searching the web on Mac computers and laptops. I’m in the market for a laptop, so I figure I may as well keep an open mind and look at them all. Especially now that with the Intel chips you can easily run Windows XP or Vista on a Mac alongside Mac OS X. I’d imagine it wouldn’t be much of a stretch to stick Linux on there too. One computer to rule them all…

Only one problem with a Mac: Holy crap, are they expensive! Looking at the laptops, I could probably get a 17” widescreen laptop PC for $1200-1500 (maybe even less). The only 17” Mac laptop goes for close to $3,000! I can’t afford that. In fact, about the only Mac product I could afford is the Mac Mini ($679). It is small, but it’s no laptop.

After the unmitigated disaster that was the Linux attempt (ok, a bit of hyperbole, I’m still gonna keep whacking away at it), I started thinking about the Macs. Or maybe the commercials got to me (the latest "Cancel or Allow" one is hilarious). Or maybe listening to the Movie Blog guys rave about switching to Apple laptops. Plus, since the things I really like to do on a computer are what the Mac is designed for, it makes some kind of sense. Something I’ll have to look into if I can find a financially feasible way to do it.

Comments on "Mac Attack?"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (March 06, 2007 1:57 PM) : 

I'm in the same boat, I'm not all that thrilled with my PC but a Mac is far out of my price range (though John's rant about his passion for his ibook really got me thinking). However, I've installed Fedora on my baby and we'll see how it goes (considering the Mandrake install was a total freakin' nightmare).

Good to hear you're sticking to it! We'll have to discuss progress!

 

Blogger Eaglewing said ... (March 07, 2007 4:17 AM) : 

Indeed. Not all that impressed with Ubuntu so far - can play zero amount of any kind of media 'out of the box', which is kind of a bummer. I realize its a licensing issue, but that's not the way to impress a newb. Plus, Ubuntu Firefox is still weird buggy. Of course, all this buggyness could be because I'm flailing around in the dark :)

If you figure out a better Linux, let me know, and I'll try that one :)

 

post a comment