Sunday, July 13, 2008

iLike iMac

Well, after a day of setup and tweaking, the new iMac is almost all setup.  There's still some software / data to switch over, but it's coming along.  The heavy lifting is done though.

Here's some shots:

The unboxing.  I was kind of surprised it wasn't packed in there better, but it survived the trip and got here fast.  And the shipping from Apple was free :)


The Leopard install booting up on the kitchen table. The other monitor beside it is an old one I'll be using as a TV in the kitchen hooked to an old PC.  Leopard has some issues, but there's plenty of help on the web to sort them out and it does seem to run a bit faster too.  And once the tweaks are done, Quicklook is a really neat thing.


The move to the desk.  Had to sort out the cables and move stuff around, but it's a nice setup for now.  The one keyboard, mouse, and Mac Mini are only temporary until I've set them up for a family member.  Then I'll have a bit more desk real estate.


Up and running, both systems.  I'm ambidextrous, so using a mouse on the left side is no big deal, as long as I remember which mouse is for which system. Sometimes I even use both mice at the same time - get things done faster :-)


Some different wallpapers.  The white 24" iMac is really something to see.  It's the best computer monitor I think I've ever seen, and certainly a step up from my old 17" Benq.  I thought that monitor was really good, until it was side by side with the Mac.  Not even close.


And the weekend treat I bought myself - a big bag of Mike & Ike candy.  Not cheap either - even the clerk asked if I was sure I wanted them, but you got to treat yourself now and then.


So there you have it.  That was my weekend of fun.  Phase one is now almost done - on to phase two and the Mac Mini overhaul.  Should be fun...

Comments on "iLike iMac"

 

Blogger Pappy said ... (July 14, 2008 5:51 AM) : 

Congratulations! Let the processing begin. Nice monitor. Hope you enjoy your new toys. Pappy

 

Blogger Keanan Brand said ... (July 14, 2008 11:34 PM) : 

Now that looks like my kind of fun (right up there with photography, writing, watching movies, and exploring).

I use my mouse left-handed, too, and it drives other people nuts, especially my mom--who, being left-handed, use her mouse right-handed. Go figure.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (July 16, 2008 2:39 AM) : 

Wow. I *heart* that monitor (and want it all to myself). And is that the new Challenger I spy on your desktop???? Good choice! :)

 

post a comment