Sunday, July 06, 2008

Duck Soup

As I was roaring to work on Friday, I was driving down the highway, rounded a corner and there was a family of ducks or geese walking across the expressway.  There they were - momma duck, and the kiddie ducklings in a row.  I couldn't hit the brakes, and changing lanes was out, so I did a quick adjustment and put them between the wheel wells and went over top.  Good thing I was driving a pickup truck - plenty of clearance and I didn't hit any of them.  No idea if they survived the rest of the cars that were right behind me.  What in the world they were doing out there in the middle of the highway with no ponds or water or grass around is beyond me.

It's getting a little woodsy around here as of late.  Coyotes spotted near my work, I saw two deer when I took an off ramp a little while ago, and now ducks wandering around on a highway.  I guess this really is turning into a concrete jungle.

Comments on "Duck Soup"

 

Blogger Pappy said ... (July 06, 2008 6:42 AM) : 

Thanks for coming by. I have no idea about the Adidas label. I just got that along with other major movies with careless cinematography. Sounds like you may need a bow and arrow soon as things regress to feral. Pappy

 

Blogger Lavinia said ... (July 06, 2008 11:06 AM) : 

Oh I do hope the ducks were alright...you made a split second decision that was necessary!

 

Blogger Keanan Brand said ... (July 06, 2008 12:08 PM) : 

This may sound corny, but after encountering turtles on the road -- going around or over them -- I pray that they avoid death under someone else's wheels, and I have been known to stop and move the critters out of harm's way.

Turtles are faster than people think, though, and they can truck across a two-line highway pretty quick.

I live in a small town surrounded by rural areas and other small towns, and we see deer and other animals a lot. Unfortunately, I also see a lot of them dead along the roads.

 

post a comment