Friday, July 04, 2008

Roll With It

Yet another week rolling by me, which is good in a way.  Knew this was going to be a tough year, but it's halfway done now.  I keep singing that classic Merle Haggard song to myself: "If we make it through December, everything's gonna be alright I know..."  Sure, it's a Christmas song, but it fits and I love Christmas and it's hot in the summer and I can't wait for winter.  I'm not built for summer - give me a cold wind and snow any day, as long as I don't have to shovel it ;-)

Am getting a few things done this week, but my blog is suffering for the effort.  Have to change some things, and its a work vs sleep thing at the moment.  Oh well, I'll roll with it.

I do have a new computer project lined up, which gives something to think about at work other than the dreariness of where I am.  I'm going to sell my Mac Mini to a family member and set it up for them to be an ultimate Mac Leopard / WinXP / Linux machine that will run all three At The Same Time!  And XP natively via bootcamp, for when you need Windows power.  Will have to upgrade the hard drive and memory myself to do it, but that will be fun.  Any time you need to take a putty knife to a computer is a good day.  And then I'll add an Elegato device to record TV to it and convert it to iTunes so it can be synced to an AppleTV.  Oh it will be cool if I pull it off.

In order for this project to start though, I'll need a new Mac.  And I took the plunge and ordered a 24" iMac from Apple.  I don't like the new glass and aluminum ones (bad glare and so-so LCD's), so I found a refurbished previous generation white iMac on the Canada Apple website and ordered it. I always liked those white slab computers (cheaper now too).  I ordered Monday night when I came home from work, and got an email on Tuesday that it had shipped.  I figured a week, but I was surprised to get an email from my mailbox store that I had a parcel waiting for me Thursday aft.  So I ran over and picked it up.  Bigger than I thought it would be.  I haven't even unboxed it yet - no time - but I'm psyched.  I hope it's all in one piece and works.  Should be a fun weekend ahead of new computer joy.

I'll try to keep you posted as the project progresses.  Maybe post some pictures...

Comments on "Roll With It"

 

Blogger Pappy said ... (July 04, 2008 5:56 AM) : 

Thanks for coming by EW. I was listening to Merle yesterday as I drove around town. Have fun tinkering with your new computer gear. Always fun to get new stuff. Pappy

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (July 04, 2008 6:59 PM) : 

1. Congrats!
2. Would love to see the pictures.
3. That new project sounds complicated!

I'm still trying to find the time and courage to load the new SuSe on my laptop. Apparently they've made some nice updates that should make it easier to install than my last attempt. I just can't bear the thought of things going wrong and being with out a pc for a few days. :(

 

Blogger Keanan Brand said ... (July 05, 2008 11:09 AM) : 

I see right through this plan to help out the family member. Any excuse for playing with new toys and cool Mac stuff, right? (laughing)

I don't consider myself a computer wiz/geek/whatever until I start talking to my fellow staff members and they ask ME for advice, or until my even geekier but cooler brother starts in on computer widgets and gizmos and games, and actually understand him!

 

Blogger Eaglewing said ... (July 06, 2008 6:35 AM) : 

Texican: thanks. Excellent music taste with Merle :)

 

Blogger Eaglewing said ... (July 06, 2008 6:36 AM) : 

Marina: Thanks! I'll try to post up some pics after I recharge my camera. I know the feeling of not wanting to be without a computer when you start tinkering with it. Try picking up a spare hard drive so you don't have to use the one you have setup already.

 

Blogger Eaglewing said ... (July 06, 2008 6:37 AM) : 

Keanan: Yep, saw right through it. Lol! Any excuse to play with a new Mac.

 

post a comment