Saturday, November 10, 2007

Payneful Movie News

Good News & Bad News...

The good news is that the video game Max Payne is going to be made into a movie. The bad news is that it's going to "star" Mark Wahlberg as Max Payne. Totally wrong casting here.

I liked the Max Payne game - it's a fun shooter that introduced 'bullet time' (think Matrix). Unfortunately, I hit a brick wall spot in the game that I couldn't get past and moved on to other things and haven't played the game in a long time. However, I do remember being impressed with the dark noir overtones, the gritty voice overs (in true noir fashion) and the cut scenes and comic book like narration scenes.

The plot is generic - good cop loses family and goes on rampage. Basically a Punisher rip off, but the style and noir and mystery elements made it much more interesting. A good script that played the noir angle with shooting action (not the other way around - make this a movie, not a video game movie) and the right actor could make this into something to watch. However, I just can't possibly see Wahlberg as that kind of a dark and gritty, oneliners and voice over, noir anti hero.

It's late, so off the top of my head, I can't really think of anyone who should have been cast instead, but I'm sure I'll think of somebody when I'm watching this on DVD sometime in the future...

Comments on "Payneful Movie News"

 

post a comment