Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Read Fast...

Ever tried turning your Closed Captions on when watching TV? With my ear problems that come and go, it’s of interest to me. Watched a DVD movie or two with them on, and it helps. If I miss some dialogue, I can just read it and keep going.

Obviously, the DVD’s get better CC editing than TV, or that’s just my guess. I watched an episode of House with CC on, and it was really well done. It said at the end that it was done by CaptionMax, so I’m guessing they’re a good company.

Then I watched the Daily Show with CC on. Not as good. It lagged behind and had misspelling to boot. Now, that kind of show has rat-a-tat dialogue and the comedic timing between what you hear and see is crucial. So that was a little bit harder to follow, but still somewhat effective.

The other surprise was that some commercials had CC, while some did not. It seemed that movie trailer commercials and TV show promos did not come with closed captions. Most, but not all, of the product commercials did have them. You’d think CC would be across the board by now.

It’s an interesting test for yourself – I’d recommend everyone trying it. Turn the volume off and CC on and see what it’s like to have to live like that. It’s not easy…

Comments on "Read Fast..."

 

Anonymous Closed Captioning New York said ... (March 03, 2017 4:28 AM) : 

Therefore, closed captioning new york eliminates the confusion of watching television in which the people speaking have thick accents.

 

post a comment