Thursday, May 08, 2008

More Moorer


Been listening to Allison Moorer's latest album Mockingbird, and I am really digging it. Not a bad tune on the album - shouldn't be either as she highlights songs written by other female artists that have meant something to her. It was meant as a tribute to the female voice, according to the liner notes, and a project like that could be tempted to go with more of an agenda, but she doesn't do that. She just does great songs justice with her own voice and style. I'm a guy, but I know good music when I hear it. While there aren't too many female singers these days that get my attention, Allison Moorer is one who always does. One of a very small group of singers on my list that if I hear they are coming out with a new album, I know I'll buy it without having to hear samples or the like. Always been a fan, and she does a great album here, crossing over several different genres seamlessly. My favorite track is Revelator - a Gillian Welch penned tune. It's a classic Moorer track with that opening electric guitar riff into a fiddle and then her soulful voice. A perfect midnight track when you're thinking about getting out of sight and what might be revealed She does a great job too on the June Carter Cash written classic, Ring of Fire. It's slowed down, but done very well. Orphan Train is another good track and she closes with Jessi Colter's I'm Looking For Blue Eyes which was a song with special meaning for Allison. It's certainly a worthwhile album to check out. It's not strictly country, or strictly anything. Just really good songs sung by someone with real talent. I shake my head when I think of how I'll probably never hear even one of these tracks on radio stations around here.

Comments on "More Moorer"

 

Blogger Pappy said ... (May 08, 2008 9:24 AM) : 

Hello Eagle, I've not heard of Allison Moorer. I am going to look her up and listen to some samples. Thanks for the info.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (May 11, 2008 8:59 PM) : 

Eaglewing,
Thanks for the head ups about Allison Moorer. I'm always going into B&N and listening to the clips...I'll pick her up on the next go around.
The Bach

 

post a comment