Friday, May 02, 2008

Goodbye Bandwidth

So, around the web we hear reports about ISP's (well, the big boys anyway) going out of their way to treat every 'net user like a criminal, and then charging them an arm and a leg for the privilege.    Every time I hit the net, there's only more bad news coming from the uber controlling ISP's - namely Rogers and Bell here in Canada.

Bell is already being taken to task for their bandwidth throttling war against all things P2P.  They erroneously claim torrent users are slowing things down and they have to put a lid on it for the sake of other users.  But that's been proven false and it's basically all BS.  Same with Rogers who are getting rid of their unlimited plan and capping the Express high speed plan at 60 GB monthly bandwidth.  If you exceed that, you're on the hook for $2 a GB up to a $25 max, I think.  Basically another cash grab, but even worse, they are positioning themselves to make serious extra coin in another year or two when 60 gigs just are not going to be enough.  As more video streaming and downloading options become available, bandwidth is going to get used up fast.

I have Rogers high speed because it's really my only option where I am.  Granted, I haven't exceeded 60 gigs use yet, but my usage is climbing and I'm not too thrilled about the cap.  Nothing much I can do about it though.  Well, there is one thing.  Since ISP's are throttling us on the assumption any torrent use must be illegal (read not using their sanctioned downloading options for movies and other stuff - not to mention their fear of people dropping cable for the internet), then the only solution here is to download like crazy.  Everything and anything - download it!  Because if I were to exceed the limit by say, 12 gigs, I'll be on the hook for $24 extra bill, but if I download 50 gigs extra, then I'm on the hook for $25.  May as well cancel my cable TV and download everything off the net instead and break even on the deal or even come out ahead.  It's a thought anyway, if this is the direction it's going.  Will have to double check that $25 max limit over charge though.

Either way, it doesn't look good for the future of the internet, at lease in Canada anyway.  Rogers has a monopoly and Bell is fading fast.  And now, the iPhone is coming to Canada - finally - and guess who has it?  Rogers.  Can not wait to see how they mess that up and over charge us like crazy for that thing.  If it's as bad as I think it will be, I may have to stick with my old Virgin mobile pre paid flip phone for a while longer yet, even though I really want an iPhone.  Can't be paying an arm and a leg for a cell phone when I'll need that arm and leg to pay for gas in the truck...

Or we could all just go back to telegrams, pony express, and telling stories by the fire or on the back porch while looking at a star filled sky for our communication and entertainment needs.  Probably be a better world...

PS - just tried going to Rogers website.  It isn't working either.

Comments on "Goodbye Bandwidth"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (May 02, 2008 1:54 PM) : 

This is actually good news, in my book. I've been a little suspicious about "unlimited" plans, and now finally ISPs are waking up and putting a little truth in their advertising.

They don't have a leg to stand on when they sell unlimited plans, but they try to whine and grumble and throttle anyway. At least this way, customers can do a real comparison of bandwidth costs, and vote with their wallets.

Rogers and Bell aren't the only players in town, and the smaller shops can be better in the long run. True, depending on your location, you may be stuck, but that's not true for everyone, and hopefully this new scrapping of unlimited will open some competition.

And as the saying goes, "never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of DVDs." :-) Or in today's case, USB drives.

originallru

 

Blogger Swinebread said ... (May 03, 2008 11:19 AM) : 

the companies are mad that they don't control the internet like they do all other form of media. that' what it comes down to.

 

Blogger G said ... (May 04, 2008 10:36 AM) : 

I've only vaguely heard news of this. Yikes... it worries me only in that I'm so technologically clued out... oh well. Shall muddle through this somehow.

I liked your suggestion... I get a huge kick out of turning off my computer, my tv, and cell phone... on rare occasions. :)

 

Blogger Eaglewing said ... (May 04, 2008 11:51 PM) : 

@Originallru: yep, there's always a way around it.


@Swinebread: That's why I hate the mega corporations. Too bad our choices are limited.


@blog Princess G: Tuning out might just be the answer. It sure is quieter...

 

post a comment