Monday, February 05, 2007

Some Good Music...

As I mentioned in the previous post, I’ve been spinning Keith Urban’s latest album, “Love, Pain, & the whole crazy thing”, a lot as of late. I got it for Christmas, and it’s a really good CD, with some standout tracks.

You’ve got the obvious radio songs, but some of the other tracks are even better. He wrote more for this album than previous ones, and they’re good tracks. However, two of my 3 favorite songs weren’t written by Keith. His take on the old “I Can’t Stop Loving You” is a sad one, but with a soaring guitar rhythm to close it out. Then his current single, “Stupid Boy” is a well-written ode to waking up to having thrown it away. Again, this track features fantastic guitar work by Keith – the end coda, the one you don’t get on stupid CMT’s chopped off video play, really makes the song and delivers a perfect finish to it. Then there’s “Used to the Pain”, this one co-written by Keith, which has a great beat and lyrics to match. There’s also “I Told You So” and “Everybody” that show his range as well.

It’s a recommended album, and one I wouldn’t say is exactly country, but just really good music. His voice works well for these songs, but again it’s his musicianship and guitar play that really bring the whole album together. He’s even experimenting a bit musically on a couple tracks, and that’s good to hear. It means he isn’t content to just rest on what he’s done before, he wants to keep pushing it further.

He’s out of rehab now as well, happily married to Nicole Kidman by all reports, and out again to promote the album and tour. I’d love to go to one of his concerts, but that’s not too likely for me. So I’ll just keep spinning the CD and enjoying the music...

Comments on "Some Good Music..."

 

post a comment