Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Weather, Movies, & Razzies...

Well, after a January that was more like spring than winter, I’m looking out my window here at actual snow falling. Big white flakes that started slow, but now are coming down with more and more insistence. Maybe winter is going to try to make it’s mark again. However, if the temperatures they’re predicting for the rest of this week are true, it’s not going to have much luck. It’s not even supposed to go below freezing tonight. This has been a very weird winter around here…

I really like the new Brad Paisley song, When I Get Where I’m Going. (See my review of the CMA awards.) However, when I heard him sing it on the CMA show, I thought the background vocals sounded like Alison Krauss, but it’s actually Dolly Parton. Don’t know how I confused the too, but Brad and Dolly sound good together. The video shows a series of people holding pictures of loved ones who they obviously miss, and Dolly makes an appearance near the end of the video too. By the way, that picture of Johnny and June says it all…

The Razzie nominations were announced, and they’re more fun than the Oscars. Ah yes, the Razzies – “celebrating” the worst Hollywood had to offer over the past year, and there was a lot to pick from. No big surprise that the Deuce Bigalow sequel and the Dukes of Hazzard movie got a lot of noms, but I was surprised to see Tom Cruise get a nom for worst actor in War of the Worlds. Sure it wasn’t the greatest movie, but I thought he did ok. It was one of those movies where if you didn’t think about it too hard while you watched it, and just enjoyed the ride, it wasn’t too bad. ‘Course, if you thought about it, it got a lot worse…

Of course, the Oscar noms were announced too, and it was the usual list of movies I’ve never seen over the past year, though this year there are few I want to see as soon as they come to DVD. Walk the Line, History of Violence, and Good Night and Good Luck will be rented. Wanted to see them in the theatre, but didn’t make it. Of course, if I were picking nominees for the Oscars, movies (and actors from them) like Sin City, Serenity, Hitchhiker’s Guide, Batman Begins, An Unfinished Life, and The Interpreter would be making the list. I mean, come on! How could you not nominate Mickey Rourke for Best Actor for his performance as Marv in Sin City?! When I first heard they were making a movie of Sin City, I couldn’t think of anyone doing that role right, but he absolutely nailed it. Not to mention that Serenity should have been nominated for Best Original Screenplay…

Saw this coming – they’re already planning against regular DVD, in an effort to force people over to the new high def versions. Read on the Digital Bits site about a new release of the Superman movies coming in a box set (probably in November) that will include a Donner’s Cut of Superman 2. Donner was the original director of the sequel, but wasn’t involved with the final theatrical version for various reasons. However, if I read it right, the Donner’s Cut will only be available in the box set for regular DVD, but will be released on HD-DVD. What if I don’t want the whole box set? So here we go – they’ll be bringing stuff out that will force you to upgrade if you want to see it. I guess it all depends on how bad you want it. Me – not very much…

Elsewhere, this was funny (from Yahoo Odd News): ZURICH (Reuters) - Around 100 police officers staked out a suspected armed robber at a Zurich bank for nearly seven hours Monday, only to find the man had already fled minutes after the alarm was raised, police said......In fact, the employees, a male trainee and woman, had locked themselves in rooms the gunman could not enter and did not know he had already fled. They were found uninjured but traumatized by the stake-out. Oops!

Oh, and by the way, the snow stopped by the time I've written this and the sun came out. Back to spring, I suppose. Not that I mind - not at all. I like winter, I like spring. As long as it doesn't turn to summer, I won't mind at all...

Comments on "Weather, Movies, & Razzies..."

 

post a comment