Friday, September 02, 2005

Here and There...

Well, another hard week. Got the 2nd week at the new job in, and it seems to be going well. Body is taking a beating though, and I think I hit the wall last night. Couldn’t sleep worth a damn, ears were roaring, and generally felt like I’d been rode hard and put up wet. Was at my previous fulltime, now part time, job for a few hours yesterday, but decided to can the full shift today. Just wasn’t worth it feeling like this.

I did read some of my new noir books and then slept a bit in the afternoon, and after eating dinner and watching 3 episodes of Titus (season 1 on DVD – go get it J ) I felt better. Loved that Titus show when it was on TV a few years back, and it had me laughing pretty good tonight. A warped, dysfunctional viewpoint – no wonder I like it.

Spent some time looking at upcoming movies on the net, and found a couple that hadn’t been on my radar. Into the Fire looks interesting, but An Unfinished Life looks like a winner. Robert Redford (playing a rancher) and Morgan Freeman should hit anything out of the park, and the story looks really interesting. The only downside is that Jennifer Lopez (yes, that JLo) is in it too. She doesn’t act too awful in the trailer, so hopefully she doesn’t sink what otherwise looks like a really good story. Even if she does bring it down a notch, Redford and Freeman are masters at their craft and should be able to bring it back up.

I like this particular piece of dialogue. It’s Redford’s delivery that sells it:
(Night, Raining)
Redford: “I see you back here again, I’ll kill ya.”
Young Guy: “You’ve seen too many westerns, old man.”
Redford: “That doesn’t exactly work in your favour.”

Apparently, it’s coming out next week. Hopefully I’m in good enough shape to go see it.

Elsewhere, there’s a new flick coming October 7 about the real life McCarthy ‘witch-hunt’ era in 1950’s America called ‘Good Night and Good Luck’. I’ll have to brush up on my history to know if there’s much fiction mixed into the movie, but the trailer looks fascinating and I really like that its done in black and white too. Interesting timing in the movie coming out now considering the political landscape. Back then it was communism, now its terrorism. Rights and freedoms disappearing under the guise of “for your safety” as a powerful, overzealous few try to take control and knowledge away from the many. Watching the trailer (assuming its true) made me think of the saying “Those who don’t learn from history are doomed to repeat it.” The trailer ends with Murrow saying one hell of a timely line: “We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home. Good night, and good luck.” I’ll have to do some more research on this era to refresh my memory, but I definitely want to see this movie.

That line also leads into what I’ve read about the tragedy in New Orleans. As four whole days went by without aid getting there, the place descended into anarchy. Everybody seems to be asking the same question – what took so long? You really have to wonder. In what is supposed to be the worlds richest nation, an entire city gets wiped out and it takes the better part of a week to get help there?! Something doesn’t add up. I’d have to agree with comments I read to the effect of the US can go fight wars on foreign soil, bring aid to other nations, but can’t help their own in a time of desperate need. Plus, they knew this hurricane was coming – they ordered the evacuation. If you are ordering an evacuation, wouldn’t it be common sense to start planning for relief efforts for when after the storm passes? Apparently, somebody knew it was going to be bad. I don’t know the what’s and why’s of it all, but man, you’ve got to take care of your own backyard first before trying to solve the rest of the world’s problems.

It is amazing though, isn’t it, how if you’re watching something like this, it sends a message of who is really in charge. Mankind can do amazing things, stupid things, things on a grand scale, start wars and end them, and think himself to be the greatest. Then along comes nature and THE Power behind it reminding anyone who cares to see and listen how insignificant man truly is and Who we really need in times like these.

Comments on "Here and There..."

 

Blogger Eaglewing said ... (September 03, 2005 2:21 PM) : 

Interesting. Like I said, I need to do some research on this point in history as I don't know enough about it one way or the other to seperate hyperbole from fact.

Either way, if it makes people think about and discuss these matters, that's always a good thing.

 

post a comment