Wednesday, August 17, 2005

The Hard Goodbye

What a day yesterday was. (Bonus points if you know who sings the song with that as a title). I got a new job offer, finally, Thank God! I’ll be starting next week and will begin the slow extrication process of getting out of where I am. One way or the other, I’ll be free of my current job by the end of September, maybe sooner. (Well, one can hope.). Now it’s on to new things, and hopefully a new, more relaxed state of affairs in my life. After all the shit I’ve been through in the last 10 years, it is way past time for me to slow down and do some things with my life that I want to do and that doesn’t involve something work related at a job I hate. Life goes by pretty quick, sometimes quicker for some than others, and when its all said and done, the last thing I want to do is look back and say “Well, I went to work a lot, then was too tired to do anything else.” I ain’t saying it’s going to be easy, but it’d be nice to try living for a change instead of just existing…

Anyway, ‘nuff of that stuff. Yesterday was the release date of the DVD for Sin City! I went straight over to Future Shop on my lunch break (not really a lunch break, since I had the work phones forwarded to me and got a couple of calls while in the store) and bought myself a copy. Of course, I bought the one with Marv on the cover, or slipcase as it were. Now, I know full well that I’m getting ripped off. The director has already stated that the special edition 2 disc setup will be coming “fairly soon”, so the double dip is in full swing. Also, I know that the variant covers are just a marketing ploy (not a bad one though, on their part – there might actually be some who buy several copies just for the variant covers. Now that’d be really stupid.) However, I liked the movie so much I just had to have it, double dip or no, and it’s a rare movie that I’d do that when I know full well a SE is coming later. So, my plan is to enjoy this copy till I hear about the new one’s street date, then offload this one to a reseller as soon as possible. At least I can now watch Marv kick ass whenever I want ;-)

Oh, and in what was a surprise for me, I got a free Sin City shot glass with purchase. Cool, but since I don’t drink it’ll go unused. Nice collector piece though…

I got home and watched the movie on my LCD computer screen with the lights out – very cool. Excellent sound quality too. Oh, and I haven’t seen cooler “interactive menu” screen backgrounds yet. It morphs between pages from the comic book and shots from the movie in a neat way, taking you through Sin City while it waits for your selection.

Anyway, a very cool day indeed. Like I told a friend – I’m not used to several good things happening in one day, so I’m carefully listening for the sound of the other shoe dropping. Hopefully it will stay airborne and this will go as well as the plan seems on paper…
later

Comments on "The Hard Goodbye"

 

Blogger Eaglewing said ... (August 18, 2005 8:27 PM) : 

Um, thanks, I guess...
As good as it is though, I'm not sure buying Sin City warrants congratulations ;-)

 

Blogger Eaglewing said ... (August 19, 2005 6:22 PM) : 

Thanks for the congrats.

Don't even know yet about the resale pricing. I've got a stack of stuff to sell, so I'll post how it goes if I get it done this weekend...

And it'd be no problem if you want to wait and buy my basic version of Sin City when I inevitably upgrade :)

 

post a comment