Saturday, July 16, 2005

Play Something Country...

So, I’m sitting here doing my usual Saturday night misery thing, waiting on my body as it slowly repairs itself from the week, thinking about stuff, and watching CMT though not really paying attention to it when I see an old Dwight Yoakam video come on of “It Only Hurts Me When I Cry.” Great tune, cool video. So, I tune in, and turn it up. Then, while I’m enjoying this tune, what comes on the screen but a f$%#&*g Burger King ad!?! Sure, its just a banner on the bottom, but I don’t want to see it, I don’t want to read it, and sure don’t want to see it over imposed onto the screen during a classic Dwight Yoakam video. I don’t eat at Burger King, and after that, I’m sure not going to. Luckily, I have the Dwight Yoakam DVD of videos, so I can enjoy the tune anytime I want without having to endure crappy ads for greasy, processed, fried food pushing, heart attack inducing, corporations while I listen to my tear in the beer, tried and true country music…

Then, the Top Twenty comes on CMT, and the list starts off with Brooks and Dunn’s new video for the song Play Something Country. I couldn’t agree more with the sentiment, but the irony is the song is anything but country. Its some kind of over rocked spectacle featuring the duo singing in a bar while a bunch of choreographed dancing girls in chaps strut their stuff in front of the stage. Now, I’m not deep enough to pretend I’m not shallow to the point of enjoying the view of the dancing girls…on mute. But what is all that doing in a video for a rocking song called Play Something Country that even references George Strait? Man, what happened to Brooks and Dunn? They put out some classic country tunes on their few first albums, but it’s been awhile since I’ve heard one of their tunes that really clicked with me…

On the plus side, though, I’m giving Toby Keith’s latest album a spin here and really pleasantly surprised at how good it is. There are some really good country tunes on it including a great tune called “She Ain’t Hooked On Me No More” that’s a duet with Merle Haggard. This album seems to be a bit of a departure from Toby’s last few “bombast” tunes, which is a welcome relief. I thought he had become a one-note act, but apparently there’s more to him…who knew?

Comments on "Play Something Country..."

 

post a comment