Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Surfing Away From TV...

As the writer's strike drags on, my interest in TV continues to decline. I'm on the fence as to whether I'll cancel my cable in the new year, as I'm pretty much down to sports, discovery channel, and the food network as reasons to keep it. The internet is where it's at - between torrents to get your TV, and the free content out there, and reading novels and comics, why are we still paying for packaged cable forcing us to pay for channels we don't want? Things need to change - let's hope the lack of new TV shows drives people away and to other forms of entertainment.

Of which, a highlight is Revision 3 on the net. Featuring regular video podcasts by various people on various topics, it's free and excellent entertainment. Two of my faves are Diggnation and iFanboy. Diggnation is a funny show as a couple guys drink beers and highlight the biggest stories of Digg.com. iFanboy highlights comics and comics goings on. All the Revision 3 site videocasts are rather professionally done considering they're free. So, if you're flipping around the tube and see nothing of interest yet again, crank up the high speed internet, surf over to revision3.com, and check out some alternate viewing. There's some educational stuff too - who knows, you might even learn something. Can TV say that?

And speaking of pulling yourself away from the TV, try reading something as well. Parts of my Amazon order have arrived, including the graphic novels. I've already got into them and am enjoying them quite a bit. As I often do when I get caught up into reading something, I don't keep track of the clock and look up to find myself wondering where the time went. However, it's always more worthwhile than having used the same amount of time channel surfing. Yes indeed - entertainment comes in many different packages than the one your cable company has picked for you. Now if I can just figure out a way to get live sports over the net. I know MLB does it, but what about hockey? I am Canadian after all...

Comments on "Surfing Away From TV..."

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (December 12, 2007 4:52 PM) : 

Glad to see you've stumbled across Revision3. I like both the shows you mentioned, and you might want to check out PixelPerfect as well. Usually short, informative shows on some technique used in Photoshop. Some (most?) of the techniques can be used in The Gimp as well.

I agree that I do miss hockey without cable, but so far it hasn't been worth cable to keep it. Your mileage may vary.

 

post a comment