Monday, December 17, 2007

Likin' The Mac...

Well, the more I get my Mac setup and use it, the more I like it.

I finally did the deed and imported my mail into the Mac Mail app from Thunderbird. Was a little bit of work to get it organized and imported right, but it was worth it. The beauty of the Mac software is the tight integration of it all. iPhoto seamlessly integrates to Mail - where as in Windows I'd have had to save a picture, open another program to resize it and save, then open Thunderbird and new message, and then add an attachment - in Mac I can just open iPhoto, select the photos I want to send, hit the Mail button, pick the size I want, and it automatically resizes the pictures and opens a new mail message with the attachments already in place. It's like two mouse clicks and I'm there. Type my message and away it goes instead of having to go through several programs. It doesn't seem like much, but when you use it, it's awfully slick.

One other thing that is really cool is the grab feature. Command - Shift - 4 turns my mouse cursor into a crosshair. I can then click and drag a box over anything on my screen, whatever size I want, and when I let go of the mouse button it instantly saves a picture of what I selected to my desktop. I have used this feature like crazy already in ways I wouldn't have even thought of before and now I don't know how I got along without it in Windows. Makes things so much easier. It's stuff like that I guess that gives Mac the get things done moniker. I can actually keep forward momentum in what I want to do instead of opening programs and fighting with the software to do what I want.

Sure, there are a few things that bug a person coming from the Windows world, but I can get used to it. Keep coming with the handy features like this and I'll be happy. Not to mention I haven't had to reboot this Mac in a while...it's kinda nice not having to do the regular reboots to get your usability back...

Comments on "Likin' The Mac..."

 

post a comment