Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Chris Benoit: An Unexpected & Tragic End

Still wrapping my head around this one. Chris Benoit, a Canadian WWE Wrestler, reportedly killed his wife and 7 year old son over a span of time on the weekend before killing himself at their Atlanta home. It pretty much came out of nowhere, as he was a respected and successful wrestler who was perceived as a family man and all round good guy. Not sure if we'll ever know what happened to cause a result this tragic.

I used to watch WWE wrestling some years back, although more for brainless entertaining distraction than as a real fan of it. I kind of lost interest after the Stone Cold and Rock eras ended (not to mention the end of Team Extreme with the Hardy Boys and Lita) and they split the shows with too many new (and uninspired) characters to keep track of. Still, if I was home on a Monday or Thursday night and nothing better was on, I'd flip over and watch for a bit and I'd tend to watch with interest if Benoit was in the match. He went by the nicknames "The Canadian Crippler" or "The Rabid Wolverine" and was a skilled tactical wrestler with a never say die attitude in the ring.

So, it came as a bit of a shock to flip over to TSN Monday night and find the WWE program eulogizing Benoit and then to find out what really happened. Steriods are being blamed as a factor of course ('roid rage), although WWE has stated his last drug test April 10 was clean. Guess we'll never truly know what led to such a bizarre and tragic end for that family.

Comments on "Chris Benoit: An Unexpected & Tragic End"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (June 27, 2007 12:03 PM) : 

I couldn't believe this when I heard it and the more news that come out the more flabbergasted I am by the whole thing.

I've never been a huge fan of wrestling but I have watched my fair share and if I was ever asked who my favourites are, Benoit was always on my list.

It's sad that he's gone and I don't think this story is going to go away anytime soon.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (June 27, 2007 12:21 PM) : 

Who? From where? Did what to whom?

I guess it shows how little I follow wrestling that this name is new to me. It's a complete shame, though, when big names like this (even in relatively small circles) go down in such a blaze.

 

post a comment