Thursday, April 19, 2007

What Will Get Your Movie Dollars?

Summer 2007 Blockbuster Preview!

With May only two weeks or so away, CinemaBlend has a handy rundown of all the mega blockbusters coming over the next few months. May is obviously the most loaded with Blockbuster movie material, with Spiderman 3, Shrek 3, and Pirates 3 all coming out in May. Gonna be a log jam at the cineplex.

I remember the summer of 2003 was like sequlitis, but it was nothing compared to this coming summer. Not a lot of originality coming during blockbuster season this year.

So, looking through the list, I thought I should break down what I'm looking at for burning the movie bucks...

I'll Pay To See In Theatres:

1. Spiderman 3. 2 was better than 1, and this looks even better than 2. Going to show us what X-Men 3 should have been quality wise when you do a comic book movie trilogy.

2. Die Hard 4. Come on, I grew up on these movies. It's John McClane! Yippie-Ki-Yay, I'm there for this, even in spite of a bad director and Justin Long.

3. Transformers. This was going to be on the bubble until I saw some recent TV trailer spots for the movie. This is SO the kind of movie to see on the BIG SCREEN! Big robots blowing a lot of things up really good. Directed by blow up master, Michael Bay. Just sit back and enjoy the vehicular carnage.

4. The Simpsons Movie. Just because if its any good, everybody's going to be talking about it. And who doesn't want to see Homer on a 50 foot theatre screen?

On The Bubble

1. The Bourne Ultimatum. If I read a review that indicates they've lost the nausea inducing shaky cam from the 2nd one, I'll pay theatre money to see it. If not, we're looking at rental.

2. Pirates 3. Loved the first one. Second one sucked. Third one is rumored to be coming in at 3 hours long. It better be good at that rate. I don't think I'll be too broke up if I miss it and wait for rental.

3. Knocked Up. From the people who brought you the 40 Year Old Virgin. The trailer is actually funny, and when I finally got around to seeing Virgin on DVD recently, I couldn't stop laughing. Funniest movie I've seen in a long time. So if I'm in the mood for a comedy when this comes out, I may very well go see it.

4. Rush Hour 3. Depends on when I see a full trailer. The teaser was just plain bloody awful, and after Ratner ruined my favorite X-Men franchise, I don't really want to put money towards one of his flicks, or Chris Tucker for that matter. But there is Jackie Chan, and I did enjoy the first two, so I might go if I wind up going with someone else who wants to see it. Probably rental though.

Wait For DVD

1. Shrek. On my own, I can't see paying theatre money for an animated feature (ok, an animated feature without Homer), even if its as good as the Shrek movies. I can easily wait for rental on this one, though.

2. Ocean's Thirteen. Looks to be quite entertaining from the trailers, but still looks like a solid rental.

3. Fantastic Four 2. Having just recently seen the first one on The Movie Network (and kind of enjoyed it for what it was), I can't see paying theatre money for it. Especially after news came out today that they made Galactus a ridiculous Giant Cloud voice by Laurence Fishburne! What?!?! We're looking at barely rental territory here.

4. Everything else...

...That is until the movie Shoot 'Em Up comes out in September. Clive Owen and Monica Belluci in an action thriller called Shoot 'Em Up? Oh yeah, I'll be in the theatre for that.

Comments on "What Will Get Your Movie Dollars?"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (April 19, 2007 12:55 PM) : 

That's a great list but for me, I'd be moving The Simpsons to "on the bubble" and Knocked Up and Pirates 3 into the pay list.

Good exercise. I may need to do something similar.

 

Blogger Eaglewing said ... (April 19, 2007 2:47 PM) : 

Might have to agree with you on Knocked Up, but unless Pirates 3 gets really great reviews, it'll stay on the bubble after that Pirates 2 letdown...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (April 20, 2007 7:15 PM) : 

I didn't think it was all that bad. I think I enjoyed it more because I went with a HUGE group and we were all in costume. It was fun!

 

Blogger Eaglewing said ... (April 21, 2007 3:05 AM) : 

That does sound like fun. For me it was a letdown 'cause I thought the characterizations were off from the first one. It wasn't until near the end that Captain Jack became more like what I was expecting. I hope they finish the trilogy with a bang, though.

Besides, who am I kidding? I'll probably wind up seeing it anyway - everybody's going to be talking about it I'm sure. I'll just go in with much lower expectations.

 

post a comment