Thursday, September 14, 2006

Windows Ripoff - I Mean Vista...

How Much Is Windows Vista Really Worth? : Christopher Null : Yahoo! Tech

Interesting article here where the writer, Christopher Null, breaks down the new features of Windows Vista and what they'd be worth. An Upgrade to Vista will cost $260, and the whole enchilada comes in around $400. That right there makes it not worth it, but the writeup of costs for features comes in around $133. That's what Null thinks its actually worth.

Here's what caught my attention, and will be one of many reasons I won't be looking to upgrade:

DRM - minus $10 - Vista is swarming with DRM software that will prevent you from doing all sorts of things you should be allowed to do. $10 penalty.

I HATE DRM crap. It's complete BS. And now an OS is over run with it? I'll be saying no thanks to Vista for quite some time...

Comments on "Windows Ripoff - I Mean Vista..."

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (September 14, 2006 3:00 PM) : 

I don't blame you. We started testing one of the Beta Versions a few months back and recently we downloaded RC1 onto one of our PC's and it's just not worth it. Not only is the 32bit version very similar to XP but to be able to run the full 64 bit ultra sleek, chalk to the brim full of goodies (like 3d browsings - one feature I was REALLY looking forward to), you need a computer that even most gamers will need to upgrade for.

I've decided that I'll be dropping Windows altogether as of this weekend. I've been dual booting for a few months now and I'm going to take the plunge. Linux, here I come!

 

Blogger Eaglewing said ... (September 15, 2006 3:16 AM) : 

It's never a good sign when your operating system demands more PC power than most of your games.

I keep telling myself I need to learn Linux. Guess nows the time. Good luck on your switchover :)

 

post a comment