Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Wagging the Finger at Crime...

Couple get 9 years prison for Wendy's finger scam - Yahoo! News

SAN JOSE, California (Reuters) - A California court sentenced a couple to nine years in prison on Wednesday for planting a human finger in a bowl of chili as part of a scam last year to defraud a Wendy's fast food restaurant. A judge in Santa Clara Superior Court sentenced Anna Ayala and her husband, Jaime Plascencia, to nine years imprisonment for their role in the Wendy's scam, which caused a sharp fall in sales at the third-largest U.S. burger chain.
The husband was given another three years and four months for not paying child support in an unrelated case, giving him a sentence of a total of 12 years, four months behind bars.
"I am truly sorry. I owe Wendy's and its employees an apology," a tearful Ayala told the court. "Wendy's had always been my family's favorite fast food restaurant." She called her actions "a moment of poor judgment," and told her family: "For all the shame I brought upon them I am sorry, I am so sorry."


Wow - 9 years?! People convicted of attempted murder get out in less, but put a finger in a bowl of chili and they send you up the river for a good long time. All kinds of criminals get a free pass for all kinds of worse stuff, but I guess this sends the message that you cannot mess with a multi-million dollar fast food chain. Is this what it means to be tough on crime?

Comments on "Wagging the Finger at Crime..."

 

Blogger The Original LRU said ... (January 19, 2006 2:46 AM) : 

I heard this on the radio and couldn't believe my ears. I had to double check Google news, and sure enough: 9 years!

Now admittedly, this was not the first time they had done this. But still. Part of the reason was that Wendy's supposedly lost $2.5 million because of it and some people got laid off. I always get suspicious when corporations start claiming "lost sales."

But 9 years is way too long in my opinion. To compare, Karla Homolka got 12 years. Andy Fastow of Enron fame got 10 years. And OJ Simpson got 0.

Ok maybe that last one doesn't belong in the list. :-)

But it seems to show that these days, you can commit violent crime and not worry too much, but you dare mess with big business and you're sent out of the way in a hurry.

 

post a comment