Monday, February 23, 2009

Oscar The Grouch

The Oscars were tonight...anybody notice? Yeah, that's what I thought. I didn't watch the show (who could?), though I guess I should have considering I do need to get caught up on some sleep.

I caught the Hugh Jackman opening number, which was pretty good, on YouTube, but other than that, who besides die hards are going to watch? I might have tuned in had any movies I was interested in been nominated, but movies like Dark Knight, The Wrestler, and Gran Torino among others are ignored in favor of the usual selection of biopics and period pieces the Academy seem to like a lot.

For my money, The Wrestler was movie of the year and Mickey Rourke didn't even win Best Actor which was the only race I was interested in. That's highway robbery right there. Most of the other movies nominated I really have no interest in seeing. They scream boredom to me. I'm not saying they're not good movies, just that they don't interest me.

And that's the thing. They want more people to be interested in the Oscars, but then they show how out of touch they are. No one's saying they need to nominate Norbit or equal drivel, just widen the scope a bit.

How Slumdog Millionaire is best picture of 2008 is beyond me. But then the Oscars are always consistent...if not correct.

Comments on "Oscar The Grouch"

 

Blogger Pappy said ... (February 23, 2009 8:16 AM) : 

I couldn't have told you who was nominated or in the end who won, I'm that interested. But, I did see Gran Torino and thought it was very good. I haven't seen the Wrestler, but Mickey can play the down and out as well as anyone. I read the entire evening. Maybe next year. Pappy

 

Blogger Keanan Brand said ... (February 24, 2009 2:44 AM) : 

I tuned in just in time to see Sean Penn get the Best Actor award and then begin a diatribe on California's Proposition 8 (the no-gay-marriage bill), so I turned it off and went back to whatever I was doing before I tried to watch TV.

Didn't see any of the flicks nominated for Best Picture -- or, at least, I don't think I did. I don't even know which ones were on the list.

 

post a comment