Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Don't Change That Channel - You Might Miss Our Ads

Been watching TV shows lately and have been struck by something creeping into the experience that is not good. It doesn't even matter what station you're watching anymore. It seems that the stations are so worried that you might tune away because you don't know what's coming on next, that they feel the need to splash annoying animated notices on the bottom of the screen of what's coming next.

Here's the kicker - these ads keep growing in size. It used to be about the size of the station ID. Now it's gotten to the point of covering close to a quarter of your screen. They have even blocked subtitles of shows I am currently watching! Not only that, these monstrous, in your face ads not only tell you whats coming next, but also what you are watching right now. I know what I'm watching right now - that's why I'm watching it. Now get your ads off the screen so I can see the actor's face. Idiots - thank goodness for DVD, where you can watch your TV shows and Movies when and how you want and ad-free...

Oh, and here's the TV quote of the night: From a man in a diner, who also happens to own it: "Can I get you ladies anything? Compassion? Perspective?" Cracked me right up...(and yes, take a wild guess as to what show.) Speaking of which, its a good thing that show got me interested with previous seasons and not this one, because from the small handfull of episodes I've been able to catch, nothing about it this year would make me want to see more. (What's that in the water? Looks like a shark, and who's that jumping it?)

Second TV quote of the night: "What backwards convulted logic would give you reason to shoot a corpse?" "Well, if I shot a live person, there's a lot more paperwork." ...from House.

Comments on "Don't Change That Channel - You Might Miss Our Ads"

 

Blogger Blythe Lane said ... (May 03, 2006 1:54 PM) : 

Yes, you're watching some great shows. Although I do have to say there's no shame in admitting you watch Gilmore Girls. My dad happens to love it for it's amazing dialogue. Really, say it with me, "My name is Eaglewing and I watch Gilmore Girls." That wasn't so hard was it?

 

Blogger Eaglewing said ... (May 03, 2006 2:28 PM) : 

Well, if it was a season or three ago, I might be able to say that. But there is no honor in admitting that this year (cough, cough, 'writers block = lame plot device', cough cough) Still, some of the one liners are hard to beat :) And there's always Kirk to bring the funny :)

I just realized something though - maybe it was the 60 pounds of "pickles" that explains this season...

 

post a comment