Saturday, April 22, 2006

Old Time Hockey...

The NHL Playoffs are off to a roaring start. Watched the Ottawa / Tampa game, and it was a good one. For two periods, it looked like the same old Ottawa team of years gone by that stuttered in the playoffs. Then they broke loose for 4 goals and won the game. Lots of back and forth action in that one too. Then Edmonton lost in OT to Detroit (not a surprise, I'll be shocked if Edmonton wins that series). Then in the late game, Calgary beat Anaheim in an OT thriller on home ice. Good games to watch, and a lot more flow to them than in recent years. It looks like the refs are calling the game the same as the regular season, which is good. It used to be that as soon as the playoffs rolled around, in came boring clutch and grab hockey in force. Hope they keep this better style up.

Inspired by the good hockey action, I hit the net again and searched to find any plausible way of playing my old favorite EA game NHL 95 in Windows XP. I actually found a report of a way to do it, and thanks to VDMSound program, it actually works! YES! Finally, I can play old DOS games on miserable Windows systems. I had tried DOSBox, but it took too much system resources to pull off, even with a Pentium 4. Ironically, though, for a emulator with the word Sound in its name, I can only play NHL 95 with no sound, or it locks up. But who needs sound if the rest of it actually runs well? About time I cracked this case...now I just wonder what other old games I can run with it...

Comments on "Old Time Hockey..."

 

post a comment