Monday, October 31, 2005

General Observations of a Crow…

…Why don’t I watch much football? Generally speaking, I’m a sports fan, and will watch most sports if there’s a good competition (except for basketball, golf, tennis, or anything synchronized – boring!) I watch car races for the wrecks, and if I’m really bored or waiting for something else to come on, I’ll even watch a few minutes of figure skating hoping to see a complete wipeout (I even managed to snag a vid clip from a highlight reel of a spectacular spill – can’t believe she didn’t crack her head open). But then there’s football. Sure, I watch some here and there, and it does have it’s entertainment value. I’ve even been to a couple of CFL games (only ‘professional’ sport with affordable tickets). But try as I might to be a real fan of the NFL, I just can’t seem to hold more than a passing interest. It could have something to do with the interest-reducing stops and starts. Or the always exciting 2 yard run into a sea of 300 pound crushers. But I think what really turns me off is the absolutely lame, stupid, and asinine end zone celebrations. If I want to watch someone get paid millions to act stupid, I’ll rent a Jim Carrey movie and get some actual laughs. Watching these ‘pros’ keep trying to come up with new variations of the dancing chicken after a 1st quarter six foot pass for an early touchdown is annoying. I could see it if it was close to the end of a tight game and you just scored a touchdown – by all means, celebrate, man. But you don’t see a baseball player dancing a jig and falling over after getting a first inning single. Come on guys, this isn’t an 8 year old’s school yard game – it’s the pros, be professional. Now get back out there and smash the crap out of those other guys in helmets…

…CMT.com listening parties sure are nice. A real handy way to listen to the whole album and see if you like it. Listened to Big & Rich’s “Comin’ to Your City” and there are actually some good tunes on it. Better though, is Patty Loveless new one “Dreamin’ My Dreams.” The first single and track “Keep Your Distance” is a really good country tune. Plus, she recorded one of my favorite Steve Earle tunes “My Old Friend the Blues.” I didn’t think anyone could do this song justice besides Steve, but she comes close. Earle’s take on it is better, but it’s interesting to hear someone else sing it.

…Watching Smokey and the Bandit here…wonder how much longer before Hollywood remakes that one…and the two sequels nobody asked for. Who would be the Bandit, though, that’s the question. If the Dukes movie casting is any indication, I guess we’ll be looking at pop singers and out of work American Pie actors…

…I think I’ll use this new heading for these ‘here and there’ blog entries (blogtries? Blentry? Blotries? Bloggies?) Bonus points if anyone knows where the title “Observations of a Crow” comes from. (clue: if you know, then you already know about one of the best albums ever).

…Better say goodnight to the moon here and get some sleep before “God hits them brights”…

Comments on "General Observations of a Crow…"

 

Blogger Eaglewing said ... (October 31, 2005 3:13 AM) : 

Picky, eh? Well, I'm not stuck for article titles, I just like it better. Besides, you can always check the date if you think the article is a repeat as I don't repost...

And yes, I think football is 'mental' too...

 

Blogger Eaglewing said ... (October 31, 2005 6:03 PM) : 

the music reference is from a track called "Observations of a Crow" from Marty Stuart's concept album The Pilgrim. Great album, good country music, and tells a story through all the songs on the album...

Don't know if I'll use it much though, having thought about it. Kinda odd calling posts Observations of a Crow on a blog called Eagle's Roost ;-)

 

post a comment