Friday, April 01, 2005

More Lost Sleep...

So, just in case anyone missed it, tomorrow night, set your clocks ahead an hour. Well, to be specific, do it at 2am on April 3rd. Yeah, right. Just what I need - another lost hour of sleep. I don't know why they can't just leave it alone and keep the same time all year...but anyway, don't forget to do the clock thing or you won't be on time for anything. Oh, and if you happen to live in Indiana, US, all I can say is Good Luck...

The other night I was thinking of some of the best opening lyrics to songs. Here's three of my faves:

"Billy Austin" by Steve Earle.
"My name is Billy Austin, and I'm twenty nine years old,
I was born in Oklahoma, quarter Cherokee I'm told."
Comment: Two lines and you already have a clear picture of the person the song is about. As the song reveals the rest of the story, its easy to picture the character throughout. Great writing on Earles part.

"Whiskey Lullaby" sung by Brad Paisley / Alison Krauss, written by Bill Anderson / Joe Randall
"She put him out, like the burnin' end of a midnight cigarette,
She broke his heart, he spent his whole life trying to forget."
Comment: Just a very vivid description that indicates the darkness of the song and grabs your attention right off the bat.

"Baby's Gotten Good at Goodbye" sung by George Strait, written by Tony Martin
"What a rotten day this turned out to be,
I still can't believe she'd leave so easily."
Comment: Just a all time fave lyric. I've quoted "What a Rotten Day This Turned Out to Be" to myself often enough in my time. Easily pictures the character sitting on his front step, shaking his head in despair - What a rotten day...

Well, that's just off the top of my head. It's cool when an opening lyric grabs your attention and makes you want to listen to the rest of the song just from a beginning line...

Well, here comes the weekend. With any luck, I'm off to the movies for the first time in a long while...
later

Comments on "More Lost Sleep..."

 

post a comment