Saturday, May 20, 2006

Moorer New Music...

So, I’m surfing the ‘net looking for nothing in particular when I come across the good news that Allison Moorer is releasing a new album on June 13/06 called Getting Somewhere. Over at CMT.com, you can listen to the entire album as well.





I’m a big fan of her music, so this was welcome news. Her last album was 2004’s The Duel, which was a pretty deep album. I especially like the guitar driven tracks “I Ain’t Giving Up On You” and “Baby Dreamer.” The track “All Aboard” was a bang-on commentary of the times considering the political environment then and where it’s gone in two years. Then you have the heart breaking title track “The Duel” – a desolate crisis of faith. Faith in what is left open to interpretation, but you can’t deny the feeling of loss and the questions that arise from it. It’s another deep track, and contains one of my favorite lyrics “I don’t know how many rounds, are left in me ‘till I stay down…”. It’s a good album and worth checking out. However, my favorite album of hers is probably The Hardest Part. If it weren’t for the digital MP3 age, I’d have probably wore a hole through that album by now with too many good tracks to list on there…

Anyway, back to my web surfing and her new album. I was able to listen to the whole thing thanks to CMT (I couldn’t believe it – this is the first time in awhile I’ve been able to play something from CMT’s website. Maybe they fixed the bugs. Yeah, right) It’s a bit of a different sound for her, with a bit more pop on the first few tracks. Still good, and catchy, but I was missing the rockier guitar edge sound. Well, I made it to track 5 (although track 3 was a standout) and it kicked in. I listened to all the tracks straight through and it’s an overall excellent album. Doesn’t knock The Hardest Part out of top spot though :-)

However, the big surprise I found out in my web travels, was that last year she married Steve Earle. I’m a big Steve Earle fan as well, and you can hear a bit of his musical influence in some of the tracks of the new album. Still, I had to do a double take when I read that (he’s 50, she’s 33, and he looks every mile of the hard life he’s lived), and thinking of those two together is one of those eyebrow raising, how the hell did a guy like that get a girl like THAT moments. Congrats to ‘em, I suppose (and thanks Steve for giving all us guys hope ;-). On the upside, those two together should result in some fantastic music…

Comments on "Moorer New Music..."

 

post a comment