Tuesday, February 14, 2006

A Whedon Wonder & Other Stuff...

Some news from WonderCon. A good interview here with the man, Joss Whedon, and some info on Serenity, Wonder Woman, and X-men. Be warned – a big spoiler from the movie Serenity is talked about, so avoid if you haven’t seen the movie yet. And if you haven’t seen the movie yet – what are you waiting for?!? Go see it, then come back and read the interview…what, you still here? Go see the movie…now!

I don’t really know a lot about the back story of the Wonder Woman character or have a lot of interest in the old TV show or a movie version. However, being Whedon is behind this, I’d have to check it out. If he brings his trademark humor and character twists to it, it’d be worth seeing. It sounds like he’s almost done the script, so pending approval, the casting rumors will be the next thing to heat up. Any suggestions?

An early review for V for Vendetta is over at ComingSoon.net, and it’s actually a good review. My hopes for this being a good flick are starting to go up…

Sin City 2 will not be coming out this year. Looks like an early 2007 release. As much as I can’t wait for the sequel, I’d prefer they push it back and do it right than do a rush job on it (cough, cough, X3, cough, cough). The other rumor about the sequel is that Rodriguez wants Angelina Jolie to play the part of Ava from ‘A Dame To Kill For’. That’d be quite the remarkable casting should it happen…

Also, this is a bit of old news, but there are stories popping up all over the ‘net about Netflix and their “punish the high renters” policy. Basically, the more you rent, the quicker you’re shunted to the end of the waiting lists. Apparently, this is called “throttling”. It has something to do with profit margins, of course, but it’s a shady thing to do after advertising unlimited rentals. Netflix isn’t available to us Canadians, but since I have a Blockbuster practically outside my door, I haven’t felt the need. Still, interesting how that old saying applies – “If something’s too good to be true, it probably is.”

I finally got a chance to watch an episode of House – great show. I’m usually working Tuesday nights (and forgetting to set my computer to record it), so haven’t watched much of it. He’s a unique character, especially for a doctor, and the one liners are brutally funny and sarcastic. I saw season 1 DVD’s available at my local Blockbuster, so maybe I’ll have to rent those and catch up on this series.

I’m also watching through the first season of The Shield on DVD. Heard nothing but good stuff about it, and it’s as good as they say. Morally questionable characters you’re interested in, and fast pacing to keep the various story lines moving. Of course, can’t see this show in Canada (thank you CRTC for nothing), so DVD is the only way to go. Actually, as far as TV in general goes, I’m starting to think TV on DVD is really the only way to go, period.

Comments on "A Whedon Wonder & Other Stuff..."

 

Blogger Blythe Lane said ... (February 15, 2006 10:08 PM) : 

Friend of Jill Pole here -- yes, you MUST rent the first season of House! It is superb, really!

Thanks for the info on Netflix. I use it. Will keep an eye on that...

 

Blogger Jill Pole said ... (February 17, 2006 12:18 PM) : 

I can't believe I missed this post...That's what I get for having the week from hell. :-)

As for Wonder Woman - I really hope Joss casts an unknown. I would like this story to work, and if a famous actress is cast - I'll keep seeing her instead of a character. I'm glad he is doing an origin story and that he's creating his own villian. My understanding of the Wonder Woman universe is that she doesn't have a very good adversary. I trust Joss.

House - yes, it's awesome! Go forth and rent the first season. You won't be disappointed. Hugh Laurie is a giant among men.

I still haven't seen Sin City. (I know, I should duck...) People keep telling me a need to hand in my geek ID card, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I think I'll probably love it when I do see it. I was waiting for the longer version to come out on DVD. Now, I have no excuse...

 

post a comment